Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Kindergartner

Tomorrow is the big day. My little angel starts Kindergarten. I guess I'm up blogging now as a way of not going to bed...and laying awake thinking about the big day.

That sweet little girl is going into the big world tomorrow morning. Sweet little Megan. The baby. The one with so much innocence because I have attempted to shield her from everything in the world.

She seems quite excited about the big day. We spent this evening getting her uniform in order, readying her backpack and lunchbox, and discussing what she wanted to put in her lunch tomorrow. Thank goodness she's okay with a PB&J for Day 1 since I've not got anything else in the house to send her off with. I guess as an overachiever I expected myself to send her off with some exquisite culinary delight for her first day....alas the weekend got away from me without an opportunity to get the store. I'll just throw a cute little note in her lunchbox with a bunny and a "Mommy hearts Megan" written on it and she'll be none the wiser.

We had "meet the teacher" a few nights ago. Megan was excited to see the classroom and meet the woman who will be her new best friend for the next 9 months. When the teacher introduced herself to Megan. Megan threw her arms around the teacher and gave her a big hug. The teacher was speechless but wore an enormous smile. I may have shielded that little girl from the evil in the world, but I guess she knows a thing or two about sucking up to the teach!

So speaking of the weekend getting away from me, it was a busy one. Much busier than I cared to have considering it was the eve of the Big Day. After much consideration, I RSVP'd for Megan's cousins bday party on Saturday, thinking it was the only thing we would have going on all weekend. This allowed us a quiet weekend at home to ready ourselves....and soak up the last of the days of Megan as a "pre" schooler.

I'll be damned if the weekend didn't go to shit, real quick like. Immediately following the call to RSVP for cousins party, I was informed my aunt would be in town, and that my in laws were getting together for my sister in laws birthday. So, Friday evening was spent with my aunt, Saturday morning was a shop-a-thon for bday gifts, followed by cousin's bday party, followed by another visit from aunt on Sunday morning, and then the hell visit with the in-laws on Sunday.

I told hubby the visit with the in-laws could absolutely not be any longer than 2 hours...we had lots to get home and do. A grueling 3 1/2 hours later we're finally leaving and I'm beat to hell. The in-laws absolutely wear me down.....especially the Mother in law. Here's a list of the beating I had to take from her.

1- Walk in the door and she notices I've cut Megan's hair. I did a great job. She thinks I didn't. She inspected it with a look of disapproval and bitched about how much I cut off. She even goes so far as to pull sections of it down together and make sure I cut it straight.

2- She tells me she forgot to bring the Hannah Montana thermos she bought for Megan. I tell her it's okay since we bought a solid pink thermos. She insists the one she bought is better, because it's short and squat- perfect for food and can do both hot or cold food since it's Thermos brand. Never mind that I've told her sixty times that I have the same thing. But because it's not the one she bought, mine is crap.

3- A discussion about potato soup starts. I say something about my recipe making 6 quarts, which works out well for freezing for many a nights dinner. She says "Oh, I don't use a recipe" with the most sarcastic and condescending tone. It's all I can do not to slap her.

4- She bitches about everything else I do, how I do it, and what I'm not doing that she thinks I should.

5- My sister in law and I discuss how much we can't stand our mother in law.


And then we finally got to leave. I've smoked half a pack of cigarettes this evening.

At any rate, Megan is blissfully asleep and dreaming of her big day. She had no troubles going to sleep. Wish I could say the same.

No comments: